On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 11:18:28PM -0700, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> We should really follow what GTK does. E.g. whatever scale factor GTK uses
>> for system/application icons by default, we should match it. Icons in the
>> Firefox UI should use the same scaling as icons in native/system apps.
>
> But GTK+2 doesn't have support for HiDPI does it? Only recent GTK+3 has,
> and that's covered by bug 975919 (but, obviously, that's limited to
> GTK+3 builds, which are far from being production ready).

I think it should also be considered that the current (and future)
builds might be used outside of a GTK-based DE/WM, and some "hints" at
what the DE is using might be missing: in such cases, sane defaults
should still be picked. For example, IIRC on GNOME etc DPI usage is
"enforced" by setting Xft.dpi, but I don't have the resource set (I
use a plain Awesome WM). Or someone might be running Firefox under
KDE, where Xft.dpi is not set because Qt apps generally just use a
scaling based on whatever the actual DPI is. Defaulting to a
physical-to-CSS dpi scale sounds like a reasonable default.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta