On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 05:09:41PM -0700, Kyle Huey wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Chris More <cm...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know or could any of you create a breakdown of the major blocks
> > of the Firefox installer and each of their respective sizes or percentage
> > of the whole?
> >
> > For example, the win32 installer for Firefox 32 is 34MB. The Firefox Growth
> > team [1] like to know of that 34MB, what is the percentage or size of each
> > of the components within the 34MB. As for the granularity of the breakdown,
> > it would be by some logic way of breaking down Firefox. For example,
> > SpiderMonkey, tools, XUL, etc. I'll leave the granularity up to you on what
> > you consider a logic block to quantify together.
> >
> > Why am I asking this?
> >
> > The win32 Firefox full installer continues to grow (see attachment) each
> > release and it has been on an increasing growth since Firefox 29. Like
> > anything on the web, the time it takes to download something (webpage,
> > binary file, etc.) affects the key conversion rate by some amount. The
> > Firefox Growth team has a project to understand what features/changes in
> > Firefox are contributing to the growth or size of the installer. We've
> > asked a few times previously, but it doesn't look like the documentation or
> > analysis exist.
> >
> > Would anyone be able to take on this project as it would be very helpful to
> > the team? I am imagining a pie chart of the the current installer and then
> > a table of the name of each component, their size (KB or MB), and any
> > additional meta data.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Growth_Team
>
> The simplest way to break the installer down is by the files in it.
>
> e.g. http://khuey.pastebin.mozilla.org/6781501
>
> File boundaries are a reasonably logical division to start with.  Once
> you've identified which files are growing/being added over time we can
> explain what those are and where the growth comes from (in terms of
> features/etc).

Note a significant amount of the omni.ja and browser/omni.ja data is
used for jsloader/jssubloader data: 4744949 and 1560499 bytes from those
files are that. These jsloader/jssubloader data are there for startup
benefits on Firefox first run (if the data wasn't there, it would be
generated on the first run and stored in the user profile). This was
added a while ago, and we've been wondering if the js parser speed had
been improved enough for those to now be useless for a while. It seems
to me there's a lot to gain in download size from stripping those if we
can confirm they are not helping in a significant way anymore. Who wants
to check?

Mike