Hello.

Our command-line option handling is *interesting*. Did you know that:

- our options work in -foo form and --foo form;

- they are case-insensitive;

- this holds for both short options (e.g. -h) and long options (e.g. -help).

So, for example, the following are all equivalent: -h, -H, --h, --H.
As are -help, --help, -HELP, --HeLp.

At least, all this is true for the options that are processed via the main
option-processing code. Some of our options are handled elsewhere, via ad hoc
code that is generally less flexible.

Despite this flexibility, in all our help messages we only mention the -foo
form for long options. But -foo options are kind of archaic and --foo options
are much more standard these days. So it would be nice to switch to them. In
particular, it would avoid messes like |mach run| having a mixture of -foo and
--foo options.

In bug 1080302 there are r+'d patches for converting all our help messages and
almost all of our comments from -foo form to --foo form. (And also for making
some of the ad hoc option handling more consistent with the main option
handling, and also for making |mach run| use --foo options throughout.)

Before I land those patches, I thought I would ask here if anyone can see any
reason not to do this. Remember, it's not a functional change -- both -foo and
--foo options will still work -- it's just a documentation change.

An obvious follow-up is to convert our code to use --foo options instead of
-foo options, which is bug 1088430, and slightly riskier. Another obvious
follow-up is to drop support for -foo options, but that's *much* harder, so I
haven't even bothered filing a bug about that.

Thanks.

Nick