> On Nov 12, 2014, at 4:35 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Adam Roach <a...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> The whole line of argumentation that web browsers and servers should be
>> taking advantage of opportunistic encryption is explicitly informed by
>> what's actually "happening elsewhere." Because what's *actually* happening
>> is an overly-broad dragnet of personal information by a wide variety of both
>> private and governmental agencies -- activities that would be prohibitively
>> expensive in the face of opportunistic encryption.
>
> ISPs are doing it already it turns out. Governments getting to ISPs
> has already happened. I think continuing to support opportunistic
> encryption in Firefox and the IETF is harmful to our mission.

You're missing Adam's point.  From the attacker's perspective, opportunistic
sessions are indistinguishable from

>> Google's laser focus on preventing active attackers to the exclusion of any
>> solution that thwarts passive attacks is a prime example of insisting on a
>> perfect solution, resulting instead in substantial deployments of nothing.
>> They're naïvely hoping that finding just the right carrot will somehow
>> result in mass adoption of an approach  that people have demonstrated, with
>> fourteen years of experience, significant reluctance to deploy universally.
>
> Where are you getting your data from?
>
> https://plus.google.com/+IlyaGrigorik/posts/7VSuQ66qA3C shows a very
> different view of what's happening.

Be careful how you count.  Ilya's stats are equivalent to the Firefox
HTTP_TRANSACTION_IS_SSL metric [1], which counts things like search box
background queries; in particular, it greatly over-samples Google.

A more realistic number is HTTP_PAGELOAD_IS_SSL, for which HTTPS adoption is
still around 30%.  That's consistent with other measures of how many sites out
there support HTTPS.

--Richard

[1]
http://telemetry.mozilla.org/#filter=release%2F32%2FHTTP_TRANSACTION_IS_SSL&aggregates=multiselect-all!Submissions&evoOver=Builds&locked=true&sanitize=true&renderhistogram=Graph