On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:23:36PM -0700, Brian Smith wrote:
> <bo...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > In summary: Officially make gcc-4.7 our minimum supported version. Fx38 and
> > 39 don't compile with 4.6 and none of the GNU/Linux package maintainers I
> > have contacted have any major concerns over dropping it.
>
> I propose that either:
>
> (1) GCC 4.8 be made the minimum supported version immediately, or
>
> (2) The trychooser tool should be extended to make it possible to
> build with GCC 4.7 on any platforms where it is supported, and
> bootstrap.py be updated to install GCC 4.7 alongside the
> currently-installed compiler.
>
> I greatly prefer option (1).
>
> It is very inconvenient to have a minimum supported compiler version
> that we cannot even do test builds with using tryserver.

Why this sudden requirement when our *current* minimum "supported"
version is 4.6 and 4.6 is nowhere close to that on try. That is also
true for older requirements we had for gcc. That is also true for clang
on OSX, and that was also true for the short period we had MSVC 2012 as
a minimum on Windows. I'm not saying this is an ideal situation, but I'd
like to understand why gcc needs to suddenly be treated differently.

> Note that recent Ubuntu releases make it very easy to install GCC 4.8
> but not so easy (AFAICT) to install other versions like GCC 4.7.
>
> > I've contacted the package maintainers for Debian, Red Hat, openSUSE, SLES
> > and Ubuntu and they either don't have a problem with dropping 4.6 or, at
> > least, no more of a problem than the fact we've already dropped 4.4.
>
> Did any of them state a preference for not going to GCC 4.8? If so,
> what was the reasoning?

At least for Debian, current stable can't build security updates with
more than 4.7.

Mike