On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Aryeh Gregor <a...@aryeh.name> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> > Yep. That's the system working. CA does something they shouldn't, we
> > find out, CA is no longer trusted (perhaps for a time).
> >
> > Or do you have an alternative system design where no-one ever makes a
> > mistake and all the actors are trustworthy?
>
> No, but it would make sense to require that sites be validated through
> a single specific CA, rather than allowing any CA to issue a
> certificate for any site.  That would drastically reduce the scope of
> attacks: an attacker would have to compromise a single specific CA,
> instead of any one of hundreds.  IIRC, HSTS already allows this on an
> opt-in basis.

This is called "pinning".

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Public_Key_Pinning
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-key-pinning-21

>   If validation was done via DNSSEC instead of the
> existing CA system, this would follow automatically, without sites
> having to commit to a single CA.

Note that pinning does not require sites to commit to a single CA. You can
pin
multiple CAs.

Using DNS and DNSSEC for this purpose is described in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6698.
However, to my knowledge no mainstream browser presently accepts DANE/TLSA
authentication for reasons already described upthread.

-Ekr