https://www.usenix.org/system/files/login/articles/105484-Gutmann.pdf

> "The first important thing to note about this model is that key
> changes are an expected part of life."
>
> Only if they've been communicated first.

How does a website communicate with all its users that it is expecting
to have (or has already had) a key change? After all, you can't exactly
put a notice on the site itself...

> "You can't provide [Joe Public] with a string of hex characters and
> expect it to read it over the phone to his bank."
>
> Sure you can.  Joe Public *already* has to do this with social
> security numbers, credit card numbers, checking/savings account
> numbers, etc. on a pretty routine basis, whether it's over the phone,
> over the Internet, by mail, in person, or what have you.  What makes
> an SSH fingerprint any different?  The fact that now you have the
> letters A through F to read?  Please.

You have missed the question of motivation. I put up with reading a CC
number over the phone (begrudgingly) because I know I need to do that in
order to buy something. If I have a choice of clicking "OK" or phoning
my bank, waiting in a queue, and eventually saying "Hi. I need to verify
the key of your webserver's cert so I can log on to do my online
banking. Is it 09F9.....?" then I'm just going to click "OK" (or
"Whatever", as that button should be labelled).

Gerv