On 4/30/2015 2:08, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:52 AM, Honza Bambas <hbam...@mozilla.com> wrote:

Just let you know about my intensive work on "Backtrack" or "Caller Chain"
which is about connecting Gecko Profiler and Task Tracer together to catch
all (instrumented) inter-object and inter-thread calls + IO blocking, lock
waits, queuing, event (nsIRunnable) dispatches, network query/response
pairing, etc.  In the captured chain it's then possible to select a path
that is then back-walked and markers on it annotated as "on the path".
Result is a per-thread tape-like timeline showing where your selected path
is going though and how it is blocked by other stuff running in
parallel/sequentially on other threads (dispatch/IO/dequeue/network
response delays).  This all should completely replace Visual Event Tracer
that is a good logging tool but poor analytical tool.  I'm piggybacking the
existing PROFILER_LABEL_* macros and TT's automatic instrumentation.  UI
should eventually end up being part of Cleopatra (the Gecko Profiler UI).

That sounds awesome!

It does seem like a good idea to integrate this with devtools somehow...

Rob

I think devtools are for web developers. What I do is more on the SPS level - for us, Gecko developers. Hence I more write it as a feature you have to turn on in build time and don't flood webdev tools with it. But we'll see.

-hb-