On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 8:00:44 AM UTC+2, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM, <kdavis> wrote:
>
> > We would like some feedback on build flags for the Web Speech API
> > installation.
> >
> > More specifically, we are planning to land an initial version of the Web
> > Speech API[1] into Geko. However, due to a number of factors, model size
> > being one of them, we plan to introduce various build flags which
> > install/do not install parts of the Web Speech API for various build
> > targets.
> >
> > Our current plan for B2G is as follows:
> >
> > 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API
> > 2. Introduce a flag to control installation of  Pocketsphinx[2], the
> > STT/TTS engine.
> > 3. Introduce a script to allow installation of models, allowing developers
> > to test the Web Speech API (They can test once they've made a build with
> > the previous two flags on)
> >
> > Our question is related to desktop and Fennec. Our current plan is to:
> >
> > 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API +
> > Pocketsphinx + English model[3]
> >
> > The question is: Is this a good plan for desktop and Fennec? Should there
> > be more/less fine grade control for installation there?
> >

> I think for desktop and fennec, some of the systems already provide APIs
> for TTS and STT. At least, Android has both of them [1][2], Mac also does
> [3]. Windows should have, but I'm not sure what form do they provide.
>
> I think for those systems, it's probably better to use their API, so that
> we provide the same experience as their native apps, and allow us not to
> include the engine ourselves.
>
> [1]
> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/speech/SpeechRecognizer.html
> [2]
> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/speech/tts/TextToSpeech.html
> [3]
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Speech/Speech.html
>
> - Xidorn

I think the Web Speech API[1] serves a difference audience.

It is a JavaScript API that web applications can access. In addition the web
Speech API will be the same across various OS's, allowing web applications to
do STT/TTS in a OS independent manner from web applications.

So, the introduction of the Web Speech API does not stop people from writing
native code, which they can always do. It does, however, greatly ease and
standardize cross platform STT/TTS.

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/speech-api/raw-file/tip/webspeechapi.html