One thing I should point out is that binary components in B2G are NOT user
installable. Instead, binaries components are used by companies building
FirefoxOS devices.

For example, Qualcomm has some special implementation for Geolocation and the
radio interface layer (RIL).  When a company wants to build a FirefoxOS device
on Qualcomm hardware, Qualcomm hands them a bunch of binaries.  These binaries
obviously aren’t compiled into LIBXUL and thus we need XPCOM to continue
looking for and loading binary components.

I hope this helps.