On 2015-05-06 2:38 PM, Adam Roach wrote:

In any case, we should have a better technical exploration of the
assertion that restoring a clipboard isn't possible in all cases before
we take it as given. A cursory examination of the OS X clipboard API
leads me to believe that this would be trivially possible (I believe we
can just store the array of pasteboardItems from the NSGeneralPBoard off
somewhere so that they can be moved back if necessary). I'd be a little
surprised if this weren't also true for Linux and Windows.

It isn't possible, no. Only the type of data is known to the clipboard. The data itself is opaque and, in most cases, not actually determined until it is pasted. You could handle some specific trivial cases, but i don't think this is an avenue worth exploring.