Hi all,

I would like to finally announce that we are going to discontinue any
kind of development for the Mozmill framework and tests for Firefox. The
reason is that there is simply no man power to further develop this
tool. Also it's plainly only myself who has the knowledge of how it
works and how it grew over the past 6 years. It's simply not scalable
anymore.

Since end of last year we (members of the A-Team) were actively working
on replacing our tests. As you can imagine there is lots of work to do.
To being able to better spread work around we basically have chosen the
wider known Marionette framework. It's already in use by some products,
has the standardized Webdriver API, and has a better platform for
today's requirements compared to Mozmill.

So lots of new features and bug fixes went into Marionette during the
last quarter. All of those were necessary to support at least the most
important features of Mozmill like running different locales, exercising
restart tests, and others. As result we now have Marionette in a state
to get started in replacing Mozmill tests. We even have some tests
converted last quarter, so the important security and update tests could
be flipped over to Marionette now. The new test suite itself is named
Firefox UI Tests and can be accessed via:
https://github.com/mozilla/firefox-ui-tests.

Currently I'm working on replacing the Mozmill jobs in Mozmill CI with
the Marionette tests. So the first test results should be available
soon. As reporting platform we want to support treeherder, which will be
integrated over the next couple of weeks. So test results will be
broader visible.

One other big step forward is that we are now working on getting the
update tests for releases to run on RelEng infrastructure. Armen
Zambrano is helping us here. With that move the sign-offs from QA for
update tests won't be necessary anymore. RelEng will be informed
directly about update failures.

All the above should give you a quick overview and understanding what's
going on with Mozmill and Marionette. For the individual topics I might
follow-up with separate blog posts and a more detailed description of
work happening in those areas.

Please let us know if you have questions or want to participate in that
work. I'm always up for mentoring people from the community.

Best,

--
Henrik Skupin
Senior Test Engineer