On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Better than a log level is an event type (possibly enumerated). When people
> are looking at log output, they want to see specific events. While
> filtering by the logger is a good way to limit/expand logging, I find that
> this approach is often limiting, even when log levels are used. This
> especially holds true when using the most verbose settings and output is
> spammy. You end up writing tons of grep chains to sort through the mess.

The problem is that too much logging can have huge costs - when debugging
media races, I often need to limit the test run to very light logging in
order to avoid changing the timing characteristics too much and preventing
the failure from reproducing. There's also the issue that even just a
couple of media tests run at full logging can create hundreds of megabytes
of output.

bholley