Thanks for all the input on this feature.  This was a good discussion.
Here's what I've learned:

* Almost no one makes decisions based on the number of votes
  (Thunderbird and related may be an exception).
** Ergo, most users voting on bugs are probably being misled into
   thinking their vote accomplishes anything.

* There is an idea that it cuts down on "me too" comments, but there's
  no hard evidence.  BMO also has more ways to hide or stop commenting
  and to otherwise prevent abuse than it did a few years ago.

* Some people use voting as a way to silently CC themselves onto bugs,
  i.e., to not trigger CC mail (but see my aside below).

* Some people are using voting to keep track of bugs without getting
  much or any bugmail, presumably by unchecking most or all of the
  "Voter" column in Email Preferences.

(Aside: the default for new users is to only get CC mail if you are the
reporter.  Admittedly this can still be annoying, it's not immediately
obvious how to disable it, and the value of notifications on CC changes
is highly questionable.)

Thus it sounds like Voting is almost never used for its intended purpose
and could be actively misleading users.  However, it also sounds like
people have discovered interesting alternative uses for it that could be
made more explicit, intuitive, and discoverable.

I think we can cut out Voting and enhance other features along these lines:

* Change bug tagging to something like "favouriting" (or a word with
  less contentious spelling ;).  Rework the UI to provide an obvious
  way to both favourite a bug and to see your favourites list.

* Further improve it to only display updates since you last looked at
  the list, something like the "Updated Since Last Visit" feature in My
  Dashboard.  Ideally this would eliminate the need to get any bugmail
  about favourites, but we *could* add it to the email preferences,
  defaulting to no bugmail (I'd prefer to just rely on a dashboard,
  though).

* Turn off CC notifications entirely, with the possible exception of
  when someone else CCs you on a bug.

* After those are in place, turn Voting off for most if not all
  products.

Unless there are strong objections, we'll look into this in Q3.  I
realize this is not a huge change, but it's yet another step to make
Bugzilla easier to use, particularly for new users.  Look out for more
posts like this in the future.

Thanks,

Mark