On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Mike Connor <mcon...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Anne, I assume the point is not to draw attention to background tabs. There
> are much more useful ways to do that, if they're going to ask for a new
> API/UI.  Instead, my read is that they're looking for a hopefully-not-janky
> busy indicator for "something is actually happening" similar to how network
> indicators imply context on mobile OSes.  Given that assumption, I would
> argue for this to be only observed in the foreground tab, as otherwise it's
> going to be wasteful of attention.  If that's the limitation, I think this
> makes a ton of sense.

Note that as smaug pointed out in
https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/19#issuecomment-118651871 you
can trivially polyfill this Gecko to get the spinning behavior,
including for background tabs.

> Does it need to be an API, or would dispatching an event be sufficient?
> Something like "busy" and "idle" events would be easy to send from JS, and
> UAs would be free to honour or ignore based on context.

I think we need something where multiple pieces of code that are not
aware of each other can ask for the indicator to be present and
declare they no longer need it. The GitHub thread offers various APIs
that accomplish that.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/