By "SVG resource document" do you mean one that is fetched as an
image?

In Gecko's case I specifically mean one fetched as a paint server.

It's somewhat of an implementation detail, possibly; the reason we do it is that we had a bunch of code that assumed you could go from a request to its loadgroup to its docshell to its document, but for SVG paint servers that would produce the linking SVG document, not the paint server document, which would not have been right in various cases.

Is that how we model stylesheets too?

No, stylesheets just use the loadgroup of the document that linked to them.

Is there a particular reason for this design? (I wonder whether we
should make the specification match it.)

That really depends on what state gets hung off of fetch groups; see above.

-Boris