Seems like this has more to do with the overlay system than XUL itself.
Losing the ability to add overlays to customize the browser chrome would be
brutal, and a move away from XUL shouldn't be done at the expense of what
the ecosystem provides today for people who need to customize the browser.

I think the ignorequery proposal would be really useful -- today, these
customizations are bypassed if the user adds an arbitrary param to the uri,
which rarely is what was intended.