On 2015-09-01 9:57 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
But I agree that we should make it clear that we do not intend to
implement a request API.

There is actually a valid use case for a request API. It has become clear that we need to expose pasting functionality to the Web, and the most natural way of doing so is document.execCommand("paste"). This operation however cannot be exposed without permission because of privacy reasons. And this is an API where modifying it to add support for requesting permission doesn't make sense.

AFAIK right now the Chrome team is experimenting with creating a solution for this use case using the request API. If they manage to come up with a good UX, I think we need to implement it (at least for the "paste" permission) as well.

Cheers,
Ehsan