Blame does work on those files locally. FWIW, fugitive vim's Gblame
command has the ability to jump back to the blame of parent revision
of the current line which makes it much easier to navigate history
than any web based blame tool that I've seen. Even if you only use vim
for GBlame I'd say it's still worth using.

-Jeff