On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 3:26:36 AM UTC+2, Chris Pearce wrote:
> On 9/29/2015 11:46 PM, Oliver Lietz wrote:
> > Not sure how MSE plays live broadcasts, as youtube primarily is VOD.
> > It might be possible with any kind of MPEG DASH combination. Anyway it
> > is PLAYBACK only, not SEND BROADCASTS from the camera.
>
> MSE can play fragmented MP4. If your live broadcast muxes into
> fragmented MP4, you just need a way to ensure your player is
> receiving/requesting the most recent fragments, and appending that to
> the MediaSource's SourceBuffers.

Our issue is doing a live broadcast from within a browser with our native
nanoStream NPAPI plugin, not playback.
We currently use RTMP for live streaming, as fragmented files create a longer
latency and complexity.
Playback is up to the browser, either DASH, RTMP/Flash (yes!), HLS or other
protocols supported by the streaming server.
These use cases are widely used, and it seems difficult to solve when NPAPI is
switched off, without any native plugin alternative, except moving back to
native apps.
What is the mozilla plan for supporting native extensions in the future,
similar to Chrome extensions (native messaging) ?