On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com>
wrote:

> On 12/4/15 3:53 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written a proposal to a) rewrite Gecko's encoding converters
>> and b) to do it in Rust:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/13GCbdvKi83a77ZcKOxaEteXp1SOGZ_9Fmztb9iX22v0/edit
>>
> [...]
>
>> Furthermore, I think the rewrite should be in Rust, because
>>
>> a) Now that we have Rust and are starting to include Rust code in
>> Gecko, it doesn't make sense to write new C++ code when the component
>> is isolated enough to be suited for being written in Rust.
>>
>> b ) Importing a separate UTF-8-oriented conversion library written in
>> Rust for use by future Gecko components written in Rust (which would
>> ideally use UTF-8 internally, since Rust strings are UTF-8) would be a
>> footprint problem compared to a single conversion library designed for
>> both UTF-16 and UTF-8 with the same data tables. (For example, the URL
>> parser is being rewritten in Rust and the URL parser depends on the
>> rust-encoding library which doesn’t share data with our
>> UTF-16-oriented C++-based converters.)
>>

> This would essentially mandate, then, that Gecko can only be built on
> platforms with a Rust toolchain. That may be desirable, but it would
> probably bust some of the obscure Tier-3 platforms and it would definitely
> bust TenFourFox (we can't even get clang to be happy on 10.4 currently).
> Not that we haven't been on borrowed time for awhile; I just point it out
> for the record.

FWIW, this is most likely coming regardless of what we do with the encoding
converters. The rust mp4 demuxer is already on nightly - see bug 1175322.
It is an experiment to dig up any tooling and workflow issues that may
exist, and if it succeeds, we will presumably remove libstagefright. We are
also actively working on something similar for the URL parser.