On 12/22/15 9:39 AM, Jonathan Griffin wrote:
If we dedicate a cycle to quality and tests, we should use that opportunity
to figure out what a more viable strategy is longer-term for making sure
these don't get out of hand again, which might include having teams adopt
test, suites, and the intermittent orange counts associated with them, and
being accountable for them in goals and deliverables.

The Firefox team plans for three two-week iterations per release cycle. To make quality a long-term commitment, we could dedicate the third two-week iteration of each release cycle to just fixing tests and bugs.

This has the added benefit of stablizing Nightly before it merges to Dev Edition. People have expressed concerns that Dev Edition, as a "real product", should have a higher quality bar than Aurora did.

OTOH, a mozilla-central code freeze will frustrate people and lead to more big landings in the first or second iteration of the each release cycle. That might be OK because those features would then have 2–5 weeks of bake time on Nightly instead of just one. :)