On 1/4/16 11:20 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:
First a bit of good news: The overall trend line for SHA-1 errors is not
spiking (yet).  Bin 6 of SSL_CERT_VERIFICATION_ERRORS corresponds to
ERROR_CERT_SIGNATURE_ALGORITHM_DISABLED, which is what you get when you
reject a bad SHA-1 cert.

https://ipv.sx/telemetry/general-v2.html?channels=beta%20release&measure=SSL_CERT_VERIFICATION_ERRORS&target=6

Now for the bad news: Telemetry is actually useless for the specific case
we're talking about here.  Telemetry is submitted over HTTPS (about:config
/ toolkit.telemetry.server), so measurements from affected clients will
never reach the server.

So we can't get any measurements unless we revert the SHA-1 intolerance.
Given this, I'm sort of inclined to do that, collect some data, then maybe
re-enable it in 45 or 46.  What do others think?

I agree that we should revert the change (assuming its not already too late given updates are over HTTPS) until we figure out how widespread this problem is and determine how to handle it.

--Richard