Benjamin Francis <mailto:bfran...@mozilla.com>
2016 February 25 at 07:18
With the demise of XULRunner it seems the only way to run a Gecko-based
project that isn't Firefox is to run it on top of Firefox. That doesn't do
much to "promote innovation" and I'm guessing is a major reason projects
like Brave are being forced to switch to Webkit/Electron.
I expect that's true in general, although for Brave in particular, Brendan tweeted, "Started w/ Graphene/Gecko but needed full sandboxing, MDI, &c. Also: Chrome web compat :-(." <https://twitter.com/BrendanEich/status/689893409230684160>. And the Brave FAQ states, "We did a careful head-to-head comparison and by every measure, Electron/chromium won" <https://brave.com/FAQ.html>.

So the relative support for embedding doesn't appear to be the major driver.

-myk