On 15/03/2016 04:34, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> - "heap-overhead" is 4 MiB per process. I've looked at this closely.
>   The numbers tend to be noisy.
>
>   - "page-cache" is pages that jemalloc holds onto for fast recycling. It is
>     capped at 4 MiB per process and we can reduce that with a jemalloc
>     configuration, though this may make allocation slightly slower.

We aggressively got rid of that on B2G by sending memory-pressure events
to apps that were unused. We did have the advantage there that we had
only one page per process so establishing if one was not being used was
very easy. On desktop Firefox we might consider to try and minimize the
memory usage of processes which do not have active tabs (e.g. none of
the tabs is visible, or none of the tabs has received input for a while).

Besides the immediate memory usage reduction this had the important
side-effect of reducing steady-state consumption. A lot of the
structures and caches that were purged had often been bloated by
transient data required only during startup. Once minimized they would
start to grow again once a process would become active again but never
as much as before the minimization.

 Gabriele