Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> An example of this *not* being the case: I expect to have to import
> https://github.com/gz/rust-cpuid into Gecko in order to cater to the
> Mozilla-side policy sadness of having to support Windows XP users
> whose computers don't have SSE2.

With my Rust programmer hat on:

I recommend that you don't do that. Instead, have your Rust code call
Gecko's C/C++ CPUID code. Or set some global variable with the "has SSE2"
flag in your C++ code before the Rust code gets invoked, and have the Rust
code test the SSE2 flag.

It's not worth using unstable features, especially `asm!` which is
fundamentally flawed and shouldn't be stabilized, just to do something this
simple.

With my Esteemed Mozilla Alumni hat on:

It's absolutely ridiculous that Mozilla lets Debian and Red Hat choose what
tools Mozilla uses to build its software. Mozilla needs to use the best
tools for the job, and assist (mildly) in helping Debian and Red Hat cope
with whatever difficulties they incur due to that. Not just Rust, but
GCC/Clang and NSS and everything else.

And, same with ESR; even reading this sentence cost you more effort than
ESR is worth.

Love,
Brian