On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Philipp Kewisch <mozi...@kewis.ch> wrote:
> I was experimenting with web components and noticed how there are gaps
> between what Firefox supports and what Chrome supports. Reading blog
> posts and such I am aware that this is because consensus has not been
> reached on the final implementation and I agree it would not be a good
> idea to just implement something to be compatible to Chrome.

The Chrome developers refer to what they implement as v0. They are
working on v1 and I believe we will be again working on that soonish
too, now the platform team has some more breathing room.

> Nevertheless, since it was mentioned that the new consensus-based shadow
> dom implementation is expected to ship in Q1, I'd appreciate if someone
> (Anne? Wilson?) could give an update, maybe even as a blog post if there
> is news.

Well, the specification took a little longer and there's still issues
with shadow trees that are rather hard to resolve (e.g., how should
<iframe> work), but custom elements is ready and now integrated into
the DOM and HTML Standards (rather than existing as a monkey patch on
top of those standards). From what I know our plan is to implement
custom elements first.

> How far from generally usable are web components? I think it would be
> great to get more support in, as it would be particularly useful to
> replace XBL bindings on the mission to deprecate XUL.

Yeah, though I suspect that might take a while either way.

> Personally I've run into a few issues regarding ::content styling, but I
> understand this might change anyway if the slots pattern is used. Also,
> it seems devtools does not fully support custom elements.

Yes, we won't implement ::content. It's now called ::slotted I believe
with slightly different semantics.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/