On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 11:06:18 PM UTC, Petr Cerny wrote:
> i.stakenvic...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Technically speaking, as i've been told at least, rust can still be
> > built from scratch if ocaml is available on the platform, starting
> > with rust-0.6, to 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0 and then finally 1.7 or newer.
> > If a distro really does ban cross-compiling to jump directly to
> > rust-1.7 or newer then their developers can stoll go this route to
> > package it.  Theoretically it only needs to be done once, right?
>
> Question is, whether we'll be fine with some 7 iterations like you
> suggest or we'd need the ~300 steps Henri mentioned.

I´d like to build rust for alpine linux, which uses musl libc. There is big
interest among alpine users to get rust working for alpine.

I´d say that 7 iteration is too much, because it is 7 x number of
architectures. In alpine case it is currently 3 arch, x86, x86_64 and arm. It
will likely be more.

It would be *very* helpful to be able to bootstrap rust directly from
C/python/perl/whatever.

-nc