On 5/12/16 7:26 PM, Mike Taylor wrote:
On 5/12/16 2:48 PM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
Our original intent behind those choices was to let users join a video
conference as an "audio only" participant. Unfortunately, sites don't
expect this behavior and often don't work right when the track is missing.

Fixing sites sounds good.

Are there any risks of breaking sites with this change?

Firefox users may complain that some sites that used to let them join a call with only audio, now require them to share their camera.

We can point to Chrome, but permissions is a point of differentiation (we like to say we offer more privacy choices).

I would assume if we're aligning with Chrome (if they follow the spec here), probably not. But I don't actually know.

Chrome follows the spec, except in the case where the user has no camera, and a site asks for both. In that case, Chrome gives out an audio-only stream, just like Firefox. A bug I suspect, since it's a spec violation, but not 100% sure. Regardless, after we change this, we'll be stricter than Chrome in this edge-case.

.: Jan-Ivar :.