On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Mike Taylor <mi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 10/27/16 10:08 AM, Ben Kelly wrote:
>
>> The short story is that there should be very minimal observable
>> difference.
>>

> How do these changes compare with other browsers behavior (for the
> web-observable effects)? Do you have any idea?

I honestly don't know how other browsers handle these edge cases.

I believe, however, our previous behavior of "freezing time" during a sync
xhr was unspec'd and probably unexpected.  I don't see anything in
xhr.spec.whatwg.org about shifting timers around.

The html spec references the "pause" concept for alert() modals:

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#pause

Again, this says nothing specific about running pending code synchronously
when you leave the modal state.  It even encourages experimentation around
mitigating the impact of the modal on user experience.

Not sure if that helps or not.  I tend to believe these changes won't have
a large compat impact since timers are already rather imprecise and can be
delayed for a number of reasons.