Microsoft announced Visual Studio 2017 RC today. As always, there are some
compelling reasons to support the new version. They have blogged
extensively about performance improvements around compiling/linking and IDE
interactions, which are always exciting.

If you install VS2017 RC today, configure won't detect it. Even if you have
environment variables set, configure still barfs because paths of things
within the installation have changed.

Bug 1318143 (alias: vs2017) has been established to track making everything
work with VS2017.

At this time, we have no timeline for transitioning shipped Firefox
binaries to VS2017. Obviously we need to wait for VS2017 final. After that,
we'd likely need some compelling reasons to undergo the transition. We
will, however, stand up VS2017 builds (likely no to few tests) in
automation as a tier-2 platform so developers have visibility into VS2017
compatibility. Bug 1318193 tracks that.