On 17/01/2017 17:55, Bobby Holley wrote:
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

On 1/16/17 4:28 PM, Matthew N. wrote:

Does it just work from XHTML documents?

Yes, as far as I know.

Is our implementation of Web Components ready to replace it and riding the
trains?

No.

From the perspective of the platform, my general experience is that XBL is
much, much more of a PITA than XUL itself. I would be very skeptical of a
plan to start using some form of heavily-XBL-reliant HTML.

I have generally ambivalent feelings towards XUL, but XBL cannot die fast
enough.

As both of you are aware, I am (very) sympathetic to this sentiment, but we'll need a replacement of some sort. In toplevel chrome, we can in theory use some kind of JS framework (like React, or something else). However, that doesn't really solve things like the video controls (which we embed into content <video> elements).

What can we do in this space if Web Components is not the answer? Like, can we (and I'm thinking out loud here) build a system where we get handed the native anon container element in a script (js component createinstance + init with a param, if we need something existing to piggyback on) that has its own context (and ideally, some way to load more script)?

If there isn't a reasonable other answer, what's the rough timeframe for web components to be more feasible (maybe only in chrome and/or in native anon content (because video controls...)) ) - weeks, months, years, decades ? :-)

~ Gijs