I was recently asked to look at regression bugs found late in the beta
cycle or post-release to see what discernible trends there might be and how
it might inform our testing strategy going forward.

I looked at all bugs that met those criteria that were filed against
Firefox 46-50 up through early January (since it's a moving target over
time) - nearly 300 in total. A report of the findings with some areas of
potential improvement identified is available for reading below:
http://bit.ly/2ltlXXz

To address some feedback that was already received, the conclusions I've
drawn both with respect to individual bugs and overall findings are my own
subjective views on the bugs and I certainly recognize that opinions can
and will differ about them. For that reason, I've generally tried to avoid
dwelling too much on finer-grained details and focus more on the broader
issues brought to light. I also recognize that there are dimensions that I
chose not to look into (such as dot-release drivers) that could also yield
some useful insights.

It is my hope that this analysis will spur productive discussion about what
changes to our practices we can reasonably achieve to ship fewer
regressions in the first place and catch them earlier when we do,
especially as we turn more focus this year into increasing the speed at
which we ship updates to our users.

Thanks!

-Ryan