On 02/16/2017 07:20 PM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
It has happened repeatedly over the past two years that we discovered critical issues that affect websites only after we ship to release.

I don't think removing -moz-appearance even has the potential of being
"critical".  All that happens is that you get native styling instead
(at worst).  There shouldn't be any loss of function.  I don't think
an average web user will even notice it.

In the unlikely event that we do want to roll this back, all we need
to do is toggle the preference values, which I believe we can do even
in release builds nowadays by pushing a restart-less system add-on.

It is not hard nowadays to add metrics (telemetry) to measure web
feature usage.

Getting the data we would need in this case is actually a lot harder
than you may think.  It's probably easy to measure "does this web page
have a style rule that declares a valid -moz-appearance value?", but
that's useless in this case, since we really need to know if there's an
'appearance/-webkit-appearance' declaration that "wins" in this style
rule, or in some other rule.  Or if there's a 'border' declaration etc
that also turns off native styling in some cases, or if the element
is a <div> or something that has no support for native styling to begin
with, etc.

Adding that telemetry machinery to the style system seems rather tricky
to me.  And given the low risk with removing -moz-appearance - doesn't
seem worth implementing to me.  (I think our goal is to remove all
-moz-prefixed CSS properties eventually anyway, at which point this
machinery would have little value.)

In this case, I understand the advantage of shipping CSS 'appearance'.
I'm less sure about what it would cost us to keep supporting
-moz-appearance: none, perhaps indefinitely.

It seems you haven't considered that *removing* a -moz-prefixed property
could actually *improve* web compatibility.  We actually have some
evidence of that for -moz-appearance:none in bug 1328474.

I suspect this is the case for -moz-appearance.  If the web author also
wrote -webkit-appearance/appearance:none (as they should) then there is
no change, and if they didn't they might not have intended to have 'none'
styling in the first place.  It's just that they never tested it in
Firefox.  I get that impression after studying the usage of these
properties in some github projects.

AFAICT, IE11 (on a Win7 desktop) has no support for 'appearance' at all
(or any prefixed variant thereof), and Edge specifically added support
only for '-webkit-appearance:none'.  And I assume the web still works
in those browsers.

/Mats