On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 9:29:06 AM UTC+11, Bobby Holley wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:18 PM, <gsqu...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi again Nick,
> >
> > Someone made me realize that I didn't fully read your message, sorry for
> > that.
> >
> > I now see that as well as &&/||, you have grepped for other operators, and
> > shown that the overwhelming usage is to put all of them at the end of lines!
> >
> > In light of this, and from what others here&elsewhere have discussed, I'm
> > now thinking that we probably should indeed just update our coding style
> > with whatever is used the most out there, and model our "Official
> > Formatter" on it.
> >

> > Another thought, if technically possible:
> > If our main repository is going to always be under the control of some
> > official clang-format style, it should be possible for anybody to pull the
> > repository, and use a different formatter locally with their favorite
> > style. And when pushing, their modified code could be automatically
> > reformatted with the official formatter -- Everybody feels good when
> > programming! :-)
> >

> Please no. That would make reviewing a nightmare.

Not sure what your concern is:
- People who stick with the official parser will only ever see that (pushing to
mozreview will reformat everything to the official style).
- People who prefer a different style at home will have to adapt to the
different style when reviewing others' code, or when their code gets review
comments in a different style -- the formatter shouldn't change things so
wildly that it would be so hard to find the corresponding location in their
local repo.

So it's everybody's choice to avoid a nightmare, or deal with it. ;-)