On 27/02/17 19:30, Henri Sivonen wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Bobby Holley <bobbyhol...@gmail.com> wrote:
FWIW, |cargo tree| is a very helpful tool to figure out who's pulling in a
crate.

Thanks, but what I'm trying to figure out isn't whose pulling it in
(the style crate is) but whether it is actually used beyond an
always-None Option<EncodingRef> in a way that would result in the data
tables actually getting included in the build as oppose to (hopefully)
getting discarded by LTO.

(Motivation: If we are taking on the data tables, I want to argue that
we should include encoding_rs instead even before the "replace uconv
with encoding_rs" step is done.)

As an aside, I have a plan to remove rust-encoding entirely from Servo (including Stylo) and use encoding_rs instead. But doing this the way I want to has a number of prerequisites, and I’d prefer to switch everything at once to avoid having both in the build. At the moment I’m prioritizing other Stylo-related work, but I’m confident it’ll happen before we start shipping Stylo.

--
Simon Sapin