On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 11:04:07 AM UTC-8, David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2017-03-01 12:50 -0800, kgilb...@mozilla.com wrote:
> > Since the initial implementation, a W3C working group was formed including
> > members from Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, and Oculus.  The API has
> > stabilized and is frozen at "WebVR 1.1" while its successor "WebVR 2.0" is
> > being conceived.
>
> There seems to be some disagreement within the WebVR community about
> whether 1.1 was intended to be shipped in stable releases of
> browsers, e.g., in this thread:
> https://twitter.com/aeliasnet/status/837139143276711936
>
> What's the intent of the WebVR standards community here?
>
> And is your intend to support the features in 1.1 forever, or to
> take them away at some point?

Chris's response to that tweet sums this up.

Our first implementation of WebVR 2.0 will be a system add-on exposing the new
API, backed by WebVR 1.1.  WebVR 1.1 implementations will be around for a long
time and have already been shipped by other UA's.  It will take some time for
2.0 to be ready to implement as it is still in conception.  When the native
implementation within Firefox is updated to 2.0, the system add-on will be
updated to provide backwards compatibility to the WebVR 1.1 API.  At this
point, WebVR 1.1 will be deprecated but supported as long as needed.  I expect
the timeframe to be several years of support for WebVR 1.1 API in production.

The vast majority of sites using WebVR are using one of the WebVR polyfills,
such as:

https://github.com/googlevr/webvr-polyfill

This polyfill provides an even higher level abstraction and enables WebVR on
platforms without WebVR support, such as phones with a google cardboard holder.

Simply updating this polyfill is all that would be needed for sites that are
still on the WebVR 1.1 API once eventually deprecated.