>On 07/03/17 20:29, zbranie...@mozilla.com wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering if really two days of patches landing in Gecko should
>> result
>> in what seems like basically full rebuild.
>>
>> A clean build takes 65-70, a rebuild after two days of patches takes
>> 50-60min.
>
>That seems pretty normal to me nowadays.  My very vague impression is that
>this has gotten worse in the past few months.  Nowadays I assume that every
>m-i to m-c sync (twice a day) will entail more or less a full rebuild.

someone hits Clobber, or someone touches an MFBT or xpcom header, and
poof, full rebuild.

>I would also say that, if your machine takes 65-70 mins for a clean build,
>and that's on Linux, you need a faster machine.  I reckon on about 23 mins
>for gcc6 "-g -Og", and clang can do it in just about 20.  Linking is also
>a bottleneck -- you really need 16GB for sane linking performance.

Right.  My 5.5 year old desktop Linux machine (admittedly 1 (old) XEON,
16GB, SSD) does builds in around 25ish min (up from about 12 a couple of
years ago!)  I suspect the issue is the laptop has a lower-HP/MHz CPU
(maybe), and/or the cooling solution is causing thermal throttling -
mobile CPUs often can't run all-cores-flat-out for long in typical
laptop cooling.

Windows builds slower.  Of course.

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp