On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Ben Kelly <bke...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> (Just continuing the thread here.)
>>
>> Personally I prefer looking at the bug for the full context and single
>> point of truth.  Also, security bugs typically can't have extensive commit
>> messages and moving a lot of context to commit messages might paint a
>> target on security patches.
>>

> Can't you determine that by just looking to see if the bug is visible?

So you are saying we should just write SECURE BUG REDACTED in these commit
messages now?  Or do we have to fabricate a paragraph to match other
commits now?

Right now our security bug process asks about the commit message and if it
"paints a target" on the patch.  If you want to change our commit message
policy, please adjust that or take it into account.

And I also agree with the other commenters here that complexity should be
described in code comments.

Ultimately as long as the code is explained via comments, the bug is
up-to-date, and our secure bug process isn't broken I don't have a strong
opinion here.