On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 3:46:14 PM UTC-5, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:55:40PM +0000, David Burns wrote:
> >I went back and did some checks with autoland to servo and the results are
> >negligible. So from 01 February 2017 to 10 March 2017 (as of sending this
> >email). I have removed merge commits from the numbers.
> >
> >Autoland:
> >Total Servo Sync Pushes: 152
> >Total Pushes: 1823
> >Total Backouts: 144
> >Percentage of backouts: 7.8990674712
> >Percentage of backouts without Servo: 8.61759425494
> >
> >Mozilla-Inbound:
> >Total Pushes: 1472
> >Total Backouts: 166
> >Percentage of backouts: 11.277173913
>
> Is there any way you can get these numbers in terms of patches, rather than
> pushes? Or, ideally, in terms of bugs landed and backed out? Pushes to
> inbound
> still often have patches for more than one bug, so if 4 bugs bets pushed to
> inbound in one push, and 4 land on autoland as separate pushes, and one gets
> backed out from each branch, the comparison isn't very useful.

I have been asking the same question and from some initial data, it looks like
we would have 2075 bugs changed with 166 backouts, or a 8.0% backout rate.  I
think David is working on validating this data, but to me it shows that code
quality is the same between branches, we are just landing more bugs on inbound.

There is more guess work for the sheriffs when it comes to backing out things
with multibug pushes, I would be curious how many times (in the last few
months) we have had a backout on inbound that didn't fix the problem due to
multi bug pushes.