On 4/5/17 9:12 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Aryeh Gregor <a...@aryeh.name
> <mailto:a...@aryeh.name>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Ehsan Akhgari
>     <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com <mailto:ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > I don't own this module any more, so this isn't my call to make, but if > > I had to choose what to do here, I would probably either choose to not
>     > change our behavior (since I'm not sure what we're gaining here
> > concretely -- as AFAIK we're not investing in bringing our behavior on > > par with other engines on a more broad basis with regards to editing),
>
>     Masayuki seems to be in favor of trying to match Blink more.
>

> Masayuki's opinion here certainly outweighs mine.  :-)
Yeah, I like better to make our behavior more compatible with other browsers if the other behavior does make sense (or at least it's not "not makes sense"). Our current market share doesn't have so many impact for web developers. Therefore, I worry about that if we keep compatibility with older Gecko rather than other browsers, new web services would not support Gecko due to the market share vs. implementing cost.

> > On the idea of the test plan that Benjamin brought up, I'm not sure what > > to put in such a test plan, due to the issue I mentioned above (it being > > totally non-obvious what the expected breakage of this change would look
>     > like.)
>
>     We could put the default defaultParagraphSeparator change behind a
>     pref and leave the pref off on release (or on beta and release?) for
>     some period and see if we get bug reports.  I don't think there's any
>     way to detect breakage by telemetry, so we'd have to rely on user
>     reports.
>

> This may be a good idea as well.
I doubt it partially. In my latest experience, most testers use pre-release bulds silently. I usually get regression reports after reaching risky patch to the release especially when it's limited to non-English users.

So, in this case, I think we'd get regression reports of web apps which is used in world wide. Otherwise, we wouldn't get regression reports until releasing the new behavior.

# Sorry I posted same message from outside of dev-platform.

--
Masayuki Nakano <masay...@d-toybox.com>
Software Engineer, Mozilla