From: mozilla.dev.platf...@googlegroups.com
[mailto:mozilla.dev.platf...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of L. David Baron

> On Friday 2017-05-26 11:53 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
>> How would I go about starting this?
>> I have never done anything with web standards before.
>
> Probably something like:
>
>  (1) ask the current maintainers of the spec if they're ok with you  doing
> this

This speaks to the larger issue here, which is finding someone who is willing
to devote ongoing effort to maintaining the spec. It's a serious long-term
commitment, not just something to check off the box before shipping a new
feature. My understanding is there are current maintainers who are happy with
their workflow using a Google doc. If you want to move to a new technology, you
need to get them to come along and help with the conversion process, and you
need to stick around as part of the team committed to maintaining the spec
long-term, driving consensus on new features.

https://whatwg.org/working-mode may give you somewhat of an idea of how the
ongoing process of maintaining a spec works. It is for a different standards
organization than the one dbaron suggests, but the general framework remains.

(BTW, if the spec ends up successful in the WICG, we can talk about migrating
it from incubation in the WICG to a full-fleged WHATWG specification, as was
suggested by some people up-thread. But it would be good to see ongoing
positive signs of engagement first with the proposed new spec.)