(If you don't care about the details of UTF-8 error handling, it's
safe to stop reading.)

In reference to https://hsivonen.fi/broken-utf-8/ , I think it would
be appropriate to submit that post to the Unicode Consortium with a
cover note asking the Unicode Technical Committee to revert their
decision to change the preferred UTF-8 error handling for Unicode 11
and to retract the action item to draft corresponding new text for
Unicode 11 for reasons given in the post.

I think it would be preferable to do this via Mozilla's liaison
membership of the Unicode Consortium rather than me doing it as a
random member of the public, because submission via Mozilla's liaison
membership allows for visibility into the process and opportunity for
follow-up whereas if I do it on my own, it's basically a matter of
dropping a note into a one-way black box. (It seems that this kind of
thing is exactly what Mozilla's liaison membership is for.)

However, submitting via Mozilla's liaison membership raises the
question of whether the submission would properly represent a Mozilla
consensus. I estimate this to be noncontroversial, because deliberate
effort has been expended to make the Mozilla-affiliated
implementations that I am aware of (uconv, encoding_rs and the Rust
standard library) behave according to the pre-Unicode 11 version of
the guidance either directly by looking at the Unicode Standard or by
the way of implementing the WHATWG Encoding Standard, which elevates
the pre-Unicode 11 preferred approach into a requirement.

If I have mis-guessed that the above-contemplated submission should be
non-controversial from the Mozilla perspective and you believe that
the above-contemplated submission should not be made via Mozilla's
liaison membership, please let me know.

(My understanding is that a reversal of the decision is quite
possible, but actually making the above-contemplated submission is a
process prerequisite for a reversal to take place.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi