cnico7 <mailto:nicolas.cazot...@gmail.com>
2017 July 6 at 12:47
I had the idea of using firefox with marionette protocol in order to interact with the engine and to use a custom plugin in order to hide all the design (menus, tab bars,...). This idea has many drawbacks : it is slow at launching time, it requires to improve marionette protocol in order to intercept browsing events and hiding all ui elements with webextensions is no more possible.
So my idea is clearly not a the good way.
You don't need to use a plugin or extension to customize Firefox's chrome, as you can use Firefox as a runtime to load a custom XUL application that exposes any chrome you want (including none at all).

You just need to start Firefox with a -app flag pointing to a directory containing a XUL application. See qbrt <https://github.com/mozilla/qbrt> for an example of a project that uses Firefox as a XUL runtime.

As Henri noted about Positron, this isn't embedding; but it may be sufficient to meet your needs. And it wouldn't require you to use/improve the Marionette protocol, as your application could interact with the custom XUL application using pipes, HTTP, or any other available mechanism for IPC (some of which may require you to compile a custom build of Firefox).

-myk