On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 08:29:59PM +1000, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
I think this is an excellent trend, and I've been thinking about how to
accelerate it...

- Interop with existing components can be difficult. IPDL codegen rust
bindings could be a big help.

So far, this has been my biggest issue. Or, to be more specific, the lack of interop, combined with the lack of documentation for the current state of interop, or how to go about writing new Rust components, or guidelines for when and how to use it.

In particular, every piece of code I've considered writing in Rust would have needed to interact with DOM and/or Spidermonkey and/or IPDL bindings, and the amount of C++ glue code I would have had to write seemed to outweigh the benefits of writing it in Rust. Combined with the fact that I would have needed to find and dig through various scattered mailing list posts and wiki pages, and then pester a bunch of people by email or IRC just to get started, I've always given up the idea pretty quickly.

That said, there are things that I would *love* to be able to write in Rust rather than in C++, so if there's anything we can do to improve this situation, I'm very much on board.

-Kris