As the removal of XUL add-ons is imminent, I asked the author of the "Show Parent Folder" add-on, that shows a much needed "Parent Folder" column in the bookmarks window, whether his add-on would be ported to the new scheme and his answer was:

'NO' unfortunately. AFAIK, Webextensions do not allow the modification of UI elements and do not provide an API for the XUL tree.

So an add-on which really fixes a bug in Firefox "Can't tell where bookmark is stored" will stop working and expose this bug now. I wonder how much more functionality Firefox will lose.

Jörg (Thunderbird maintainer and Firefox user)