On 2017-07-19 10:18 AM, Mike Hoye wrote:
On 2017-07-19 12:01 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
What's the plan for eligible people that still want to keep 32-bit
Firefox?
Outside of our QA team (or others orgs, I guess?) do we have a set of use cases that would motivate people to flip that switch?

64-bit code is slightly larger, so there is some memory overheard. Users with less than 4 GB RAM might feel that 32-bit is faster on their machine, but our testing on Windows 7 and 10 machines with just 2 GB RAM doesn't show any measurable performance differences. We don't expect 64-bit Firefox to have any performance improvements over 32-bit. The benefits of 64-bit are primarily ASLR and fewer OOM crashes, which are somewhat intangible to end users.

Are they going to have to stop auto upgrades, which would get
them automatically on 64-bits and upgrade manually? This is especially
going to be a problem for users with less than 2GB RAM that do still
want 32-bit Firefox if we decide against the minimum memory requirement.

We have two options in mind:
Is ESR on the radar while you're planning this, or is it unrelated?

When the next ESR comes around (59?), we will announce to the ESR mailing list that 64-bit is considered stable and the preferred version, but we do not plan to auto migrate 32-bit ESR users to 64-bit. We figure that enterprises will want to test and control their deployments.