On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 8:21:23 AM UTC+12, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM, David Teller <dte...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> > Should we moz-prefix moz-specific extensions?
>

> We have been trying not to do that for Web-exposed APIs but maybe the
> extensions case is different?
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ExposureGuidelines#Guiding_Principles

Thank you Olli for starting this discussion.
For some context: Olli reviewed my initial attempt to bring some [chrome-only]
moz-specific extensions for use in the legacy about:media extension, to a
privilege-gated API for use in a (Web)Extension rewrite, to make it work at
least as well as the old one.

So in my case, I'd like to get some debugging data from a <video> element, and
build a useful DevTools panel from that. (Currently we have APIs like
HTMLMediaElement.mozRequestDebugInfo() to get such data, but only extensions
with the "debugger" or "tabs" privilege can see&use them; so any random webdev
won't see these things.)

The collected data will be a kind of log that captures the changing state of
our Media Playback stack and how data goes through it; a bit similar to what an
unnamed competitor already does in their 'chrome://media-internals/' page --
but much better of course!

I think that such an API could be spec'd such that it is portable, with the
output being flexible enough that we can put Mozilla-specific information in
there. E.g.: A fixed API to get the data, and a minimal structure for the
output, but say, each log message could have a free-form 'data' json object, or
some self-described tabular data.

But with no experience in producing cross-browser specs, I'm scared that such a
process would be time-consuming(?)

So in the interest of producing a useful Media DevTools Panel soon-ish I'm
thinking of continuing with moz-specific APIs for now, as development
progresses and I tweak these APIs...
But with the view of eventually converting them to a proper WebExtension API.
Of course the risk there is that once we have a working DevTools panel, there
may be little incentive to Do The Right Thing and work on proper specs.

What do you all think? (in general and/or for my specific case)

Thanks,
Gerald