On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Vector reallocations show up in profiles all the time, literally in more
> than half of the profiles I look at every day.  If you examine for example
> the large dependency graph of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/s
> how_bug.cgi?id=Speedometer_V2, a large number of optimizations that are
> landing every day are merely removing various types of extra needless
> buffer reallocations we have in profiles.

Okay, that's a surprise to me, and definitely something I will try to keep
in mind.

But my question wasn't, "is pre-reservation ever valuable?" but rather "is
it valuable in this particular code?" My assumption is that most code isn't
performance-sensitive, and so simplicity should be the priority.

The code Alexis cited at the top of the thread is here:
http://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/rev/f0e4ae5f8c40ba742214e89aba3f554da0b89a33/netwerk/base/Dashboard.cpp#435

Is Dashboard performance-sensitive?