Why the magic number 1800 MB? The Windows API we use to query the machine's available memory omits physical memory reserved for hardware drivers, which is typically a couple hundred KB. So most "2 GB" machines will report less than 2048 MB available memory.

Stub installer's memory check:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/installer/windows/nsis/stub.nsi#189-195

On 2017-08-07 1:19 AM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
I think the 2GB "requirement" from Microsoft should be ignored, because plenty of our users are ignoring it.

Nick

    On 2017-08-06 11:26 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

        On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Chris
        Peterson<cpeter...@mozilla.com <mailto:cpeter...@mozilla.com>>
        wrote:

            Users with only 2 GB and 5 minute browser sessions would
            probably have a
            faster user experience with 32-bit Firefox than with
            64-bit, but how do we
            weigh that experience versus the security benefits of ASLR?

        Not giving users a security mechanism due to a non-obvious reason
        feels bad. Furthermore, considering that Microsoft documents 2
        GB as a
        "requirement" for 64-bit Windows, is it really worthwhile for
        us to
        treat three Windows pointer size combinations (32-bit on 32-bit,
        64-bit on 64-bit and 32-bit on 64-bit) as fully supported when
        one of
        the combinations is in contradiction with the OS vendor's stated
        requirements?

        Do we have any metrics on whether 32-bit on 64-bit exhibits
        bugs that
        32-bit on 32-bit and 64-bit on 64-bit don't? That is, what
        kind of bug
        burden are we keeping by catering to users who've installed 64-bit
        Windows with less than 2 GB of RAM in contradiction with what
        Microsoft states as a requirement?

    That's a fair question. 32-bit applications can only access 2 GB
    of virtual address space on Win32 OS, but can access 4 GB on Win64
    OS. So in theory, some 32-bit pointer bugs could manifest
    differently on Win64 and Win32.

    Do we test 32-bit Firefox on Win32 or Win64 today? I know we build
    32-bit Firefox on Win64. Since more people will run 32-bit Firefox
    on Win32 than on Win64, we should probably test on Win32 or at
    least test on Win64 configured to only allow Firefox access to 2
    GB of virtual address space.

    In our experiments with Win64 OS users, users with 2 GB or less
    had slightly worse retention and crash rates when running 64-bit
    Firefox than 32-bit Firefox.

    About 8% of Win64 users in our experiment had 2 GB or less, so we
    are talking about choosing a worse user experience for a fair
    number of people. (We didn't break out how many users had strictly
    less than 2 GB.) 64-bit Chrome's minimum memory requirement is 4
    GB, so Google has similarly decided that supporting 32-bit on
    Win64 is worth the trouble.